Date:      Mon, 10 Jun 1996 18:21:11 +0100
From:      "Gary Palmer" <gpalmer@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Developer <dev@flevel.co.uk>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 64 bit IP addresses?

Developer wrote in message ID
<Pine.BSI.3.93.960610152827.15640A-100000@fgate.flevel.co.uk>:
> I was wondering if there were any plans to support 64 bit IP addresses
> within FreeBSD and if anyone know how viable it would be to use the new
> larger 64 bit addresses on a FreeBSD based network?

64 bit addressing == IPv6.

To the best of my knowledge, no-one is using IPv6 except for testing
and development. There are several IPv6 implimentations available for
FreeBSD, but at this time there are no immediate plans for
incorporation of IPv6 features into FreeBSD.

If you want to experiment with IPv6, a quick search of our list
archives (or, alternatively, AltaVista) will turn up the v6
implimentations available for FTP that support FreeBSD.

Gary