Date:      Fri, 08 Sep 2000 20:27:13 -0400
From:      Bob Johnson <bobj@ufl.edu>
To:        David Liu <dliu@mindspring.com>
Cc:        freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Documentation suggestion

David Liu wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I was trying to secure my Freebsd 4.1 server by following the handbook and
> disabled
> inetd.conf and as many of the services which I don't need. A nmap port scan
> stiil show that
> many of my ports are still open. Please address this in your handbook. I
> need to know for example why port 12345 is open and how to shut it down.
>
> Thanks for your help and a great product,

The port scan doesn't match your config file.  If you didn't reboot
after editing the config file, then try rebooting and scanning again.

After you do that, if things aren't what you expect, post the scan and
the rc.conf, plus the result of "ps -ax", to questions@freebsd.org.

If, during this process, you can identify what specific shortcoming in
the documentation caused you difficulty, please post that information
to the doc list.  Actually, now that you mention it, I can't even find
instructions on disabling inetd.conf in the Handbook.  Were you reading
the Handbook, or a tutorial, or the FAQ, or The Complete FreeBSD?

Thanks,

-  Bob