Date:      Tue, 14 Jan 1997 11:34:25 +1030 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        terry@lambert.org (Terry Lambert)
Cc:        chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: mount -o async on a news servre

Terry Lambert stands accused of saying:
> > Actually, Terry is lying.  Those boot messages come from a Jaz with no disk
> > inserted.  Here's a Jaz with a disk in :
>
> Actually, J"org and I have collapsed two message threads into a
> single thread, seperated only by context.  We did the same thing
> with the su/getusershell threads, too.

Actually, I was commenting specifically on your message where you
quoted a probe message with the Jaz saying "no disk here, bub", and
then insisted that there was a disk in and spun up.

> > Correct; if the drive is mounted, it will have been locked.  There's no
> > way for a locked drive to singal its desire to be unlocked.
>
> How about "power cycling rapidly until someone notices the noise"?

I can put on my firmware-author hat and say that I'd really like to
set the CC bit and report a vendor specific status that's only
documented in the source with the comment "mum, I need a wee".

But I suspect that someone would hit me with a copy of the SCSI-3
spec, which is a good competitor with the elisp manual for smiting the
heathens.