Date:      Wed, 5 Jan 2011 21:51:54 +0100
From:      Joerg Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        Mehmet Erol Sanliturk <m.e.sanliturk@gmail.com>
Cc:        x11@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: xf86-video-intel upgrade, anyone?

As Mehmet Erol Sanliturk wrote:

> This means that , if you install a suitable Linux , its name
> selected from the above Linux.pdf , you may be able to use a
> graphical environment for a while .

Well, that might be used for some development work, but when the
laptop goes into productional work for my wife, it has to run FreeBSD
as otherwise, I'd have to learn all the maintenance stuff anew, have
to find where I get all the packages she needs, have to learn how to
integrate it into my site backup, etc. pp.  By staying with FreeBSD,
however I could easily migrate her current environment without much
hassle.

> KDE or GNOME environments are similar in FreeBSD and
> Linux .

KDE or Gnome are not even used here (she uses plain fvwm, believe it
or not ;-).  It's all the other stuff around, each and every of the
current applications.

> If it is suitable for you , you may create a partition about FreeBSD
> ( up to now never I did it , I do not know how can it be done ) and
> , by using information from Linux drivers , you may develop a
> working FreeBSD driver set .

The question is how much work this would likely going to be.  If
nobody even started, and I have to start from scratch developing a
kernel driver, I'm afraid this is far beyond the resources I could
spend into this.  Spending all my sparetime for a couple of weeks is
OK, spending half a year isn't.

How would I know whether the Intel driver version 2.8 requires GEM
support or not?  The only mention I can find in the NEWS file for GEM
is:

Some of the major fixes in this snapshot include:

        * Fix X server failure when running old (non-GEM) kernel

That would suggest to me this version can work without GEM support.