Date:      Wed, 5 Jan 2000 23:52:45 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cjc@cc942873-a.ewndsr1.nj.home.com>
To:        dan@jgl.reno.nv.us (Dan O'Connor)
Cc:        aokounev@yahoo.com (Artem Okounev), freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: CVSup over ppp

Dan O'Connor wrote,
> >I have FreeBSD box working as firewall/proxy between my local network
> >and Internet. I'm using pppd to establish ppp connection with my ISP
> >(via leased line) and natd/ipfw for address aliasing/filtering.
> >Everything works fine (i can do ftp and browsing web from local net
> >via FreeBSD box), but CVSup (version 16.1 installed from cvsup-bin
> >port) doesn't work.
>
> Make sure your firewall allows TCP traffic on ports 5998 and 5999...

Or run cvsup in passive mode. From the manpage,

     -P port|lo-hi|-|m
                 .
                 .
                 .
                 Passive mode is similar in that it also uses two TCP connec-
                 tions to implement the four unidirectional channels.  Howev-
                 er, in passive mode the client connects to the server to cre-
                 ate the second TCP connection.  Passive mode can be useful
                 when the client is behind a firewall that allows outbound
                 connections, but denies most incoming connections.  To select
                 passive mode, use the option -P -. Passive mode cannot be
                 used through a SOCKS proxy server.

I have no special openings in my firewall for CVSup, but passive mode
works like a charm.