Date:      Mon, 17 Sep 2001 14:04:05 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Matt Dillon <dillon@earth.backplane.com>
To:        Alfred Perlstein <bright@mu.org>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: bug in sshd - signal during free()

:
:* Matt Dillon <dillon@earth.backplane.com> [010917 15:32] wrote:
:>     sshd died on one of our machines today.  The traceback seems to
:>     indicate that a signal is interrupting a free().  I'm going to
:>     play with the code a bit to see if there's an easy fix.
:>
:>     This bug can't occur very often... the key regeneration signal
:>     has to occur *just* as sshd is trying to free() something.
:
:The bug seems more likely to be caused by use of unsafe functions
:in a signal handler.
:
:I'm really suprised that the OpenSSH team didn't slap whomever decided
:to do so much processing within a signal handler silly.

    It's funny... they had an XXX comment in there so obviously someone
    was a little jittery about it.  I think they just didn't realize that
    a malloc() might occur inside the signal handler or they would have
    fixed it long ago.

    UNIX signals suck.

						-Matt