Date:      Sun, 29 Nov 1998 20:38:05 -0600
From:      List Account Management <listaccount@home.com>
To:        "\"Joe \\\"Marcus\\\" Clarke\"" <marcus@jaguar.ir.miami.edu>
Subject:   Re: Installation advice needed - Fat32 /usr, /var?

Joe \"Marcus\" Clarke wrote:

> This sounds bad to begin with first of all.
Thanks for the vote of confidence :)

> I'm not sure of all the
> pitfalls that can be encountered using FAT32 in place of ffs, but I can
> name a BIG one.  FAT32 does NOT support unix permissions.  All files will
> be executable, and readable by everyone.  This has to cause problems with
> some installs.  Plus, ffs offers a bunch of performance boosts over FAT
> filesystems.  I'm not sure if the caching that ffs uses applies to FAT,
> but I bet it doesn't.  Meaning, when you right to an ffs filesystem,
> FreeBSD doesn't write the data right away.  It caches it, so that actual
> disk seeks are reduced.  FAT also doesn't support quotas, and Windows has
> a way of mangling long filenames.  Plus, I don't believe 98 is case
> sensitive.  You could end up screwing up your UNIX program names.  I'd

I think you're probably on to something there.. I hadn't thought about
install problems due to lack of permissions.. Now you got me so curious
I'm going to try it just to see what kind of mess it will make :)

When I ran FreeBSD previously, accessing a FAT partition (16 or 32), I
believe it DID do at least some caching.  I don't recall any specific
information on this, but from my experience, FreeBSD seemed to cache my
mounted FAT partitions.

Performance and security aren't really concerns for me for my purposes,
as this will be a standalone, single-user machine.  (I have devoted more
than enough space to put the OS and probably ALL of my installed
programs on a native partition).

> stich with ffs for FreeBSD...maybe trash NT.  I mean, with 98 you have
> games, and FreeBSD gives you everything else.  What's the point of having
> NT at all these days?

Ha!  Yeah.. I honestly wish I could agree with that.  I do a lot of
cross-platform development though, and provide support for a number of
different OSes (Including Microsoft OSes, unfortunately :)  I would be
more than content to convert this machine to run dedicated FreeBSD, if I
thought the industry would listen to me :)

-Ryan Thompson