Date:      Tue, 21 Mar 2000 12:01:40 -0500 (EST)
From:      "H. Jared Agnew" <jagnew@mba.dgsys.com>
To:        scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   External RAID

  I am currently in ownership of 5 IBM Ultra2 wide scsi drives.  I have
been given the task of implementing a raid configuration that will utilize
these drives.  I have looked at the following companies, cmd, mylex, infotrend,
and chaparell.  I narrowed down the search to infotrend and chaparell because
they offer ultra2 wide to ultra2 wide, 80Mb/s transfer.  I contacted a reseller
of the chaparell line and he informed me that none of the external scsi to
scsi raid controlers that he had seen, offered the full through put, save the
chapparel model 5412.  I was wondering if anyone else had found this to be the
case.

  I like the infotrend sentinelRAID 1000 as it allows an upgrade path
for redundant controlers.  If anyone has a second would you respond with any
advise (or experiences) concerning a ultra2 wide to ultra2 wide external RAID
controler.  IE, what do you use, did you run in to a great many problems, do
you get the performance you thought you would?  Any help would be greatly
apreciated.

  Also if SCSI was the wrong list to mail to I am very sorry.

  H. J. Agnew
  hjagnew@mba-consulting.com