Date:      Fri, 20 Nov 2015 14:14:35 -0800
From:      Mehmet Erol Sanliturk <m.e.sanliturk@gmail.com>
To:        Rodrigo N Hernandez <relac@minasambiente.com.br>
Cc:        freebsd-advocacy@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Open Source course material for teaching on/with FreeBSD

On Fri, Nov 20, 2015 at 1:46 PM, Rodrigo N Hernandez <
relac@minasambiente.com.br> wrote:

> Hello Mehmet,
>
> I'm not entirely sure if I understand what is the goal but if you're
> talking about computer labs:
> One option would be using vnc sessions (tightvnc e.g.), so students can
> watch lessons on their own terminals. It=E2=80=99s possible to set view o=
nly
> sessions also. It sounds feasible that all command line work being done
> from the virtual X session as well.
> It=E2=80=99s also possible to make vnc sessions running from jails (for
> testing/disposable jails e.g.). With stuff like this you don=E2=80=99t ev=
en need to
> worry about extra hardware. In fact it can be all done from a headless
> server.
>
> Well sorry if this have nothing to do about your intents, just some optio=
n.

> Cheers,
> Rodrigo

Assume we started KDE and testing a graphically displayed program .
During that time , stdin , stdout , stderr outputs are not visible .
Operating system is not using a graphical display .
Therefore , there is a need to be able to define stdin , stdout , stderr
divertible to different monitors ( by , for example , loader.conf
definitions )  attached to PCI , USB , or main board ports .
There is possibility of use of xrandr , but this is an extension to X
Window .

By using different monitors , it will be possible to view inner working of
the operating system on line , otherwise , stored information can be viewed
off line .

As an example , in KDE , start a terminal . In that terminal , start a
graphically usable program , for example , Dolphin . You will see that ,
there will be many messages displayed in the terminal .
No one these messages are displayed when Dolphin is started from KDE menus =
.

Ability to divert stdin into an independent monitor is important because
when a program continuously displays data onto stdout , it is not possible
to enter any input up to end of the working program .

Mehmet Erol Sanliturk

> Em 20/11/2015 11:47, Mehmet Erol Sanliturk escreveu:
>
>> On Fri, Nov 20, 2015 at 4:43 AM, George Neville-Neil <
>> gnn@neville-neil.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>> Howdy,
>>>
>>> Thursday evening at 18:00 BST I pushed changes to teachbsd.org that
>>> update
>>> the page so that it points to a new github repo, owned by the teachbsd
>>> organization (https://github.com/teachbsd).
>>> The organization is run by Robert Watson and myself.
>>> We can add or remove collaborators if and when that becomes appropriate=
.

>>> The initial repository (https://github.com/teachbsd/course) contains al=
>>> of the material for the practitioner and masters style courses as well =
as
>>> a PDF for the teaching guide.
>>> All of the material is licensed under a BSD doc team license, also
>>> visible
>>> in the repo and on the github site.
>>>
>>> Our goal now is to initially recruit a small number of universities to
>>> partner
>>> with us to teach this material, and to have the number grow as we polis=
>>> the material.  We also wish to solicit contributions of similar teachin=
>>> material
>>> for inclusion in the site, via links at first, and into the repo if tha=
>>> seems appropriate
>>> at a later time.
>>>
>>> We will keep you posted on our progress.
>>>
>>> Best,
>>> George