Date:      Tue, 9 Mar 1999 10:44:19 -0600
From:      Guy Helmer <ghelmer@scl.ameslab.gov>
To:        Licia <licia@o-o.org>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: A new feature for /usr/bin/login (feedback requested)

On Tue, 9 Mar 1999, Licia wrote:

> I'm going to alter login so that any person with a login group of 80 will
> be automagically chrooted.  If there is an entry for them in /etc/chroots
> they will be chrooted to the specified area (allowing several people to be
> chrooted to a common sub-area) and if there isn't an entry for them, they will
> be chrooted to their home directories.

I think it would be better to add a new login capability to the login.conf
file that specifies a chroot directory for all members of the class.
With parameter substitution (e.g. "%u" for the user name, "%g" for the
primary group name), this could eliminate the need for the /etc/chroots
file you suggest.

> 2. Should I build some sort of prepackaged utility to set up chrooted
>    environments (creating directory hierarchies, copying binaries, libraries,
>    device files, etc) and if so what would the -minimum- set be for basic
>    functionality?

Sure, that would be useful.  You might want to look into portal mounts WRT
chroot jails - it would save having to copy binaries, libraries, device
files, and configuration files.

Guy

Guy Helmer, Ph.D. Candidate, Iowa State University Dept. of Computer Science
Research Assistant, Ames Laboratory       ---         ghelmer@scl.ameslab.gov
Research Assistant, Dept. of Computer Science   ---   ghelmer@cs.iastate.edu
http://www.cs.iastate.edu/~ghelmer