Date:      Mon, 7 May 2001 09:46:41 -0400
From:      Jamie Norwood <mistwolf@mushhaven.net>
To:        "Rodney W. Grimes" <freebsd@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Arplookup

On Thu, May 03, 2001 at 04:25:25AM -0700, Rodney W. Grimes wrote:
> Run a tcpdump on your fxp0 interface, looking for any and
> all packets from 209.16.96.1:
> tcpdump -n -i fxp0 host 209.16.96.1
>
> You'll probably see a bunch of link level broadcast packets,
> probably even arp whohas or arp iam.Capture this and send
> it to your co-location ISP and ask them why your seeing traffic
> from this box on your port, you should not be, they have a
> missconfigured switch or router more than likely.Or they
> are trying to run multiple subnets on one physical network
> segment.

This is what they are doing, I am pretty sure. :/

> You could also do a funky route command:
> route add 209.16.96.1 -interface fxp0
> then see if you get an arp entry and the messages go away.
> If that works your ISP is sharing physical network segments,
> which in todays world is a really bad idea.

Didn't work, when I do this it then floods the logs of a message about the
IP in question trying to modify the permanant arp entry. *sigh*

> --
> Rod Grimes - KD7CAX @ CN85sl - (RWG25)             rgrimes@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net

This is driving me bonkers. It is making my logs less than useless.
This is what they say to me:

>This is normal traffic caused by our network configuration.We do not have
>an internal network router that would filter these requests for you, rather
>you have a direct connection to the router which controls the bandwidth to
>your server.This removes one point of failure in the network but it does
>mean that the arp traffic from the network will appear on your server.It
>is not counted against your bandwidth allotment as that monitoring takes
>place at the network point of entry and this traffic is generated after
>that point.

While I am relieved to know I don't have to PAY for this crap, it doesn't
help me. I am getting this message every 30 seconds or so, on the average.
If I type dmesg, all it is is the error. Does anyone have any suggestions
at all on how I can suppress this?

Jamie