Date:      Sat, 3 Jun 2017 15:28:19 -0400
From:      Mark Saad <nonesuch@longcount.org>
To:        Adam Vande More <amvandemore@gmail.com>
Cc:        Howard Leadmon <howard@leadmon.net>, "freebsd-stable@freebsd.org" <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Errors with ports on 9.3..

> On Jun 3, 2017, at 3:10 PM, Mark Saad <nonesuch@longcount.org> wrote:
>=20
>> On Jun 3, 2017, at 2:24 PM, Adam Vande More <amvandemore@gmail.com> wrote=
:
>>=20
>>> On Sat, Jun 3, 2017 at 12:19 PM, Howard Leadmon <howard@leadmon.net> wro=
te:
>>>    Thanks for the update, I had the feeling the issue was from it being t=
o old.   I have a question, not sure if you know, but I will toss it out.   A=
s I mentioned I update using svn for both src and ports, and I am curious to=
 know if I can actually bring my src tree up to the most current 10.x stable=
, recompile, and install and have it all run?
>=20
> So here is my take on the update . For starters if you are using a stock b=
inary 9.3-RELEASE you can use freebsd-update to go 9.3 -> 10.1 , 10.1 -> 10.=
3  , 10.3 -> 11.0 . In theory freebsd-update should allow for 9.x -> 10.x bu=
t there was some breakage in the 10's FreeBSD updates that prevented this .
>=20
> If you decided to do a source build you can go 9.x to 10.3 w/o much.=20

I meant to say trouble but I accidentally hit send .=20

Another option is to download the binary sets from ftp.freebsd.org=20

ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/releases/amd64/11.0-RELEASE/

Now with some care you can backup your 9 kernel to kernel.old and untar the k=
ernel tar to /boot . Then reboot in single user . Backup your etc and extrac=
t the base tar and then using etcupdate for fixing etc or manually fix it wi=
th your backup . Then reboot and fix the ports using pkg -f install pkg && p=
kg upgrade .  However if you haven't done this before it can be error prone i=
f .=20

Also you can look into boot environments for zfs but if memory serves me rig=
ht it's not fully baked into 9.x and it may not work right .=20

>=20
>>>=20
>>>  In the past with much older versions, I know file system changes and su=
ch make it pretty hard to jump major revisions,
>>> so have a little bit of fear about jumping from 9.x to 10.x, and possibl=
y even to 11.x if that is now stable.   I am using ZFS, so I guess that woul=
d be one thing that is outside the norm, but should be part of the base kern=
els now anyway.
>>>=20
>>>  Any input on upgrading would be most appreciated...

Honestly 11 has been very stable . There are issues but nothing that has wan=
ted me to roll back to 10 .=20

I am using 10.3-STABLE from about a year ago for my routers and 11.0-STABLE f=
rom April for general use and it's been good and crash free. Knock on wood .=
=20

One thing to remember is upgrading the zpool and zfs version/ feature flags .=
 Al la zfs upgrade pool0/foo . This is a one time job ; with no way to go ba=
ck . So save this for last after your box has settled down and you are comfo=
rtable.=20

>>=20
>> I don't know what you know I guess, but it should work following these in=
structions:
>>=20
>> https://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/makeworld.html=

>>=20
>> or these:
>>=20
>> https://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/updating-upgrading.html
>>=20
>> or these:
>>=20
>> https://www.freebsd.org/releases/11.0R/installation.html
>>=20
>> It is probably wise to make a backup and do a test first.
>>=20
>> --=20

>> Adam

---