Date:      Fri, 27 Feb 1998 09:56:34 -0800 (PST)
From:      Roger Bacon <rbacon@newc.fieldgroup.com>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   bootup sequence on a secondary drive

Hi,

Im relatively new to FreeBSD, but in the space of a week or so I have it
installed on 3 pc's with various configurations (and various successes!)
on I have set up as a web/ftp server which I am particularly proud of :)

Anyway, on one PC i have 2 hard disks which go as follows:

	Disk 1: 6.4 gig running Win95
		4 partitions, all DOS filesystems

	Disk 2: 1.2 gig running FreeBSD
		1 partition

I have installed BSD on the second drive, and installed a boot manager
that lets me boot from drive 2 (for some reason the one with BSD wouldnt
let me).

It then proceeds to do the bootup on BSD up until the 'Boot:' prompt.
If left I assume it tries to mount root on the first drive (which it cant
do as its a dos drive), then it panics and reboots.
(these are my theories - i could be totally wrong!)

Now from the options it gives at the Boot: promt, it looks as if i have
to tell it to mount root on the second drive, which should be:
	1:wd(2,a)

However it wont let me type letters - printing as if the 'shift' key is
held down.  when i tap shift first its OK, but any options I type in
(even just pressing enter for default, or -c for config), it ignores them
and promts for Boot: again......

Please could you shed some light on this, as of all the PC's this is mine
at home!!

many thanks in advance,

Roger Bacon
(reply to 'rogerbacon@mindless.com')