Date:      Wed, 15 Oct 1997 18:01:49 +0200 (EET)
From:      mika ruohotie <bsdsmp@shadows.aeon.net>
To:        smp@freebsd.org
Subject:   ick

smd@freebsd.org

DO'H!

i have intel pr440 (?) board,

uh, i havent noticed anything about this board not working...

but monday's current is just not working on it.

it's the intel dual pro board, also known as "providence".

i have two 200/256 cpu's, (runs NT so it's smp capable cpus), 128MB ECC,
stock SMP-GENERIC kernel (i also tried to uncomment the smp related
outcommented parts from it, no help)

i'm sorry i dont have any screen captures, they're not available.
(machine's not anywhere near me now, nor in a place where i could use net)

after it tells me cpu#1 launched, it freezes for like few minutes,
then starts to tell be about SCB timeouts, few of those, then
comes the other scsi bus resets, last? phase and all those other
errors one gets when adaptec is not feeling too well...

then it throws me into the debug prompt, telling it to go on, forgot
the exact command, it tells me something being/coming from the wrong
cpu, (interrupt or something), then it tells me somewhere in between
those that it cant mount root, and dies in "flames" (reboots).

so, it's the adaptec right? uh, is it "known" to be bad? since if
that's true, i've missed it. i made world, with one cpu only,
but didnt attempt to make UP kernel...

i use the onboard adaptec, with two quantum ultra 4gig drives.

for the record, it's my first smp launch... =)

and yes, i am converting it from smp-nt to smp-freebsd, not my
own machine, belongs to a computer hardware reseller who wants to
have a demo-freebsd server for real powerusers...

=)

mickey