Date:      Sat, 24 Mar 2001 11:56:07 -0600
From:      Bill Fenner <fenner@research.att.com>
To:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Distfile survey back up

After about 48 hours of cranking away with the new script, the
distfile survey is back in action.  This new checking script
uses Net::FTP and LWP::UserAgent, so may be a little more modern
than the old stuff which was using Spafford's vintage-1992 ftplib.pl
and my own HTTP stuff written using chat2.pl.

(However, it may be harder to debug; I don't know what it means
that perl printed "panic: POPSTACK" 699,006 times and then dumped
core with a segmentation fault!...)

Anyway, there are a couple of minor issues which will be gradually
fixed in the next week as the port survey does incremental checks.
The biggest known problems:

- A missing file might be listed as unknown (purple), not missing (red),
  because the error message appears as "226 No such file or directory"
  and not "500 No such file or directory".
- ftp servers that refuse our login might show up as "Unknown Net::FTP
  error".
- It refuses to follow 302 redirects, even on the URL's from the
  pkg-descr which aren't auto-grabbed by fetch(1).

If you see one of these, please ignore it as it'll go away.  If you
notice anything else funny, please let me know.

Thanks,
  Bill "distfiles" Fenner