Date:      Mon, 27 Mar 2006 12:46:29 +0100
From:      Alex Zbyslaw <xfb52@dial.pipex.com>
To:        =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Sten_Daniel_S=F8rsdal?= <lists@wm-access.no>
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Dell 2850, i386 or ia64? 5.x or 6.x?

Sten Daniel S=F8rsdal wrote:

> I am looking to buy a Dell 2850 for a database/webserver=20
> (apache/postgresql) application.
> What are peoples experiences with this server and which FreeBSD=20
> version do you recommend? Is Ia64 possible? Can anyone recommend it?

Our 2850s work with 5.4.  Haven't had a chance to try 6.X yet, but for a =

fresh install, that's what I'd go for - I know other people run it. =20
Right now I'd stick on the latest BETA and update to 6.1 when it came=20
out (and track the security branch thereafter).

We have the PERC4e/Di SCSI RAID controller (which is actually an LSI=20
megaraid).  The megarc port is a CLI to the RAID - somewhat cryptic but=20
it does do monitoring.  That's the kind of thing I would expect *might*=20
have problems if you go 64-bit.  No experience with it, however.

So far the servers are stable, noisy (won't matter in a machine room,=20
but hell in an office :-)), and if you have to remote manage, get a DRAC4=
=2E

$0.02,

--Alex

PS Like most Dell servers, I think, they come with Dell diagnostics on=20
the first slice, which I would recommend not trashing, just in case. =20
Also handy to know that the diags think the machine is OK.

PPS There should be more 2850 specific info on the mailing list archives