Date:      26 Sep 2002 07:35:28 -0500
From:      Larry Rosenman <ler@lerctr.org>
To:        Bruce M Simpson <bms@spc.org>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: DMI Multi-Flash (USB)

On Thu, 2002-09-26 at 04:46, Bruce M Simpson wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 26, 2002 at 03:50:45AM -0500, Larry Rosenman wrote:
> > >
> > > Please run the udesc_dump(1) utility *without* loading the umass.ko
> > > kernel module, and send us the output.
> > >
> > Here it is:
[snip]

> It's possible this device could be supported with some hacks to the
> umass driver, but without having access to such a device, I can't say for
> sure; some protocol analysis of the behaviour of the Windows driver using
> a tool such as USB Snoopy would be necessary; it smells like a USB-ATA
> device, though, and these are problematic to support.
The device was ~$30 at Micro Center, so cheap is probably right, which
probably implies USB-ATA.  Would my acquiring a 2nd one, and sending it
your way help?  Or running a protocol analysis help (I have it on an XP
box)?

It's not a MAJOR big deal, but it would be nice.

> Although the USB-ATA solutions seem to be cheaper than anything else, but
> horrendous to write a driver for. I fought with a PNY CF/Smartmedia USB
> reader for a while, then gave in and bought a SanDisk (because the
> controller isn't braindead on such devices).
This device is interesting as it supports all 4 flash types on one
device.

I'm willing to do either of the above.

LER