Date:      Tue, 28 Oct 1997 14:52:49 -0800 (PST)
From:      Minsung Kim <gene@seera.pl.hn.cp>
To:        phk@critter.freebsd.dk (Poul-Henning Kamp)
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: StarOffice on 3.0 current

> In message <345629C0.134062C9@mindspring.com>, Ron Bolin writes:
> >Well I found some more info on my problem. Thanks to those that
> >suggested
> >several problem areas.
> >
> >I found that SO  is sitting on a select call, waiting for something.
> >After about 10 minutes
>
> DNS, no doubt.

Yes, it's DNS.

I also had the same problem some weeks ago.  I noticed that a UDP socket
for name service is created during the hang, so I set up a local DNS and
traced what SO looked up, and oh boy, SO was looking up tens of domain
names which include some German domain names ending with ".de" -- I
don't know why, though. :-)

> Any linux emulation people who can tell what to do ?

Unfortunately, it seems that there's nothing much we can do about this
since we cannot stop SO from doing DNS queries.  However, there's a
*silly* workaround.  Temporarily bring down the network interfaces
through which nameservers are reached during SO is launching.  This will
make all DNS lookups fail immediately. ;-)

--
Gene Minsung Kim                        http://seera.nttlabs.com/~gene/
Software Developer                      mailto:gene@nttlabs.com