Date:      Sat, 3 Oct 1998 11:19:11 -0600 (MDT)
From:      "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@plutotech.com>
To:        joe@pavilion.net (Josef Karthauser)
Cc:        grog@lemis.com, FreeBSD-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD3.0-BETA crash!

Josef Karthauser wrote...
> On Sat, Oct 03, 1998 at 09:57:17AM +0930, Greg Lehey wrote:
> >
> > > And lo and behold I discover that my ffs_softdep.c is a copy and not
> > > a symlink!  Oops. (bows head in shame).
> >
> > Amazing what you can find when you have a stack trace, eh?
> >
> Miraculous :)  (I hit control C on windows 98 the other night an the whole
> system fell over!  No chances of finding out what happened on that platform!)
>

> Unfortunately looks like I'm plagued with them this week.  Another 3.0-BETA
> system froze last night.  Upon a cold boot and investigation of messages
> the following transpires:
>
> Oct  2 02:01:21 gandalf /kernel: devstat_end_transaction: HELP!! busy_count is <
>  0!
> Oct  3 02:01:32 gandalf /kernel: devstat_end_transaction: HELP!! busy_count is <
>  0!
>
> Isn't it nice that an operating system panics so verbosely, although we should
> probably add a kernel option:
> 	option	PANIC_BLUESCREEN	# Support for the uninitiated to
> 					# make them feel at home.

That isn't what caused your machine to panic.

Those are informational messages from the devstat code.  Basically they
indicate that devstat support isn't correctly done in one of the
drivers in your system.

Can you send dmesg output from your machine?  (one that shows your
hardware, not all the devstat messages...)

Also, what devices were you using when those messages popped up?  It could
be that you're using a "standard" driver, but that devstat transactions
are getting completed too often in the error case.

Ken
--
Kenneth Merry
ken@plutotech.com