Date:      Thu, 8 Jun 2000 17:23:56 +0100
From:      Ben Smithurst <ben@scientia.demon.co.uk>
To:        keith@mail.telestream.com
Cc:        Dan Nelson <dnelson@emsphone.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ps ax/sendail

keith@mail.telestream.com wrote:

> Why would sendmail want to use auth to determine a user name for someone
> that is not local to our networks and has no user name? Or am I missing
> the point of what you are saying?

It can help the administrator of the remote site track abuse.  If the
headers added by your server just said "received: from foo.bar.com" that
wouldn't help the admin at bar.com determine who had sent an abusive
message (assuming the abuser sent it direct to your host, without using
the mail system on foo.bar.com directly).  If it says "received: from
foo.bar.com (ident=luser45)" or something that's more helpful.

--
Ben Smithurst / ben@scientia.demon.co.uk / PGP: 0x99392F7D