Date:      Sat, 6 Jul 2002 08:17:40 -0700 (PDT)
From:      David Wolfskill <david@catwhisker.org>
To:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Incomplete shutdown for -CURRENT built today

Thatis, after issuing

	sudo boot0cfg -s 1 ad0 && sudo halt -p

I see (on the serial console):

Additional TCP options:.
Starting background filesystem checks

Sat Jul  6 08:07:46 PDT 2002

FreeBSD/i386 (freebeast.catwhisker.org) (cuaa0)

login: Juboot() called on cpu#0
Waiting (max 60 seconds) for system process `vnlru' to stop...stopped
Waiting (max 60 seconds) for system process `bufdaemon' to stop...stopped
Waiting (max 60 seconds) for system process `syncer' to stop...stopped

syncing disks...
done

And at that point, nothing further.  I'm able to ping the machine, but I
didn't see the (usual) mention of an attempt to shut power off via ACPI.
(Sometimes that would work; sometimes it would time out, but this is the
first time I recall not seeing the attempt logged.)

I just tried sending a BREAK (to the serial console) [I think I have
BREAK_TO_DEBUGGER in the kernel...]; no response.

CVSup started at 0347 hs. PDT, using cvsup14 as server.  I suppose I'll
need to reboot and poke around a bit.....

Cheers,
david
Trying to support or use Microsoft products makes about as much sense
as painting the outside of a house with watercolors.