Date:      Mon, 15 Mar 1999 00:19:45 -0800
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
Cc:        Bill Paul <wpaul@skynet.ctr.columbia.edu>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Fifabit ethernet -- what am I doing wrong?

> :Okay, here's an update. I've been reading all the replies to this
> :thread, but it turns out that my main problem is that, as expected,
> :I was screwing something up.
> :
> :The Tigon has a PCI state register which lets you configure several
> :aspects operation. Two of the parameters are PCI read max and PCI write
> :max, which force termination of PCI reads or writes at a specified
> :boundaries 4 bytes, 16, 32, 64, 128, 256, 1K. I had originally set
> :the read and write max values for 32. It turns out that disabling
> :these settings (by making them 0) yields _much_ better performance.
>
>     32 bytes is only 4 PCI clocks -- a serious waste of PCI burst
>     bandwidth.  However, you should get good results with 128, 256, or
>     1K.  You don't want completely unlimited unless you don't mind
>     the card completely hogging the PCI bus for long periods of
>     time.

It won't ever hog it for (much) longer than the PCI latency count; the
arbiter will push it off the bus once the latency counter expires after
someone else requests it.  If the bus is relatively quiet, not
re-cycling every few dozen cycles will improve things (a little).

> :ring fast enough). Normally the Tigon has both the PCI read and write
> :DMA channels active at the same time, but you can force only one to
> :be active at a time by setting a bit in the operating mode register.
> :The manual recommends _not_ doing this, but setting it yielded yet
> :another jump in performance.
>
>     That's very interesting.  Perhaps it is trying to interleave read
>     and write requests and is blowing the burst transfers in so doing.
>     You ought to be able to mess around with the burst length such
>     that you can leave the DMA set for simultaniously-enabled
>     operation.

I'd guess that it may only have a single PCI FIFO in the bridge, and it
has to drain/fill it as it turns around.  That'd certainly hurt.