Date:      Fri, 17 Jan 2003 14:38:59 -0500 (EST)
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Peter Schultz <pmes@speakeasy.net>
Cc:        "Joel M. Baldwin" <qumqats@outel.org>, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG, Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
Subject:   Re: bad ACPL asl's on motherboards

On 17-Jan-2003 Peter Schultz wrote:
> John Baldwin wrote:

>> >There are several things you can do, one of which is what you
>> >have suggested, though you do not go far enough:
>> >
>> >1)    Correct the ASL, make a file modification so that
>> >      FreeBSD can run on the system with the incorrect
>> >      ASL, and then *notify the motherboard and BIOS
>> >      vendors of the correction, and the reason for it*.
>> >
>> >2)    The ASL works *fine* with the Windows ACPI code;
>> >      *correct* the FreeBSD code so that it *also* works
>> >      fine for FreeBSD (i.e. if the FreeBSD code were a
>> >      line-for-line duplicate of the Windows code, then
>> >      FreeBSD would not be having these problems, where
>> >      Windows does not, would it...).
>>

>> Well, the problem here is that we don't write this code, Intel
>> does.
>>
> The problem is that Mike Smith quit.  If I remember correctly, he fixed
> two of these for me when he was working on CURRENT.  Googling `Mike
> Smith freebsd acpi' gets 482 results.  If someone can get close to him,
> this stuff might get solved.

The folks on acpi-jp@ are fairly good at fixing problems with
ACPI.  Mike did do a lot of work, but he wasn't the only one
working on this.  The acpi-jp@jp.FreeBSD.org guys have found
and fixed several bugs in Intel's code and helped track down
problems in BIOS ASL's.  Mike didn't write the whole ACPICA
stack by himself.