Date:      Tue, 05 Aug 97 04:23:14 GMT
From:      tkuehn@websurf.pcom.de (Torsten Kuehn)
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Prob with app: mc Enter key

Since several weeks, I try to resolve the following problem:
Midnight Commander (mc's) Enter key does not work in
FreeBSD 2.2.2 - XFree86 3.2 xterm sessions; with Enter,
an "M" is written to mc's cmdline.
I have tried various mc versions (3.x, 4.x), compiled a
4.0.6 version (which gave a >2MB binary..), and finally
obtained v4.0 from packages-current. I also tried a
termcap database provided with mc and generated
terminfo. Anyway, all mc versions still have the bug.
Miguel from the mc group wrote

=========BEGIN FORWARDED MESSAGE=========
> Date: Mon, 4 Aug 1997 16:55:23 -0500
> From: Miguel de Icaza <miguel@nuclecu.unam.mx>

>>Alt-Enter in Linux does the same as Ctrl-Enter in original NC

> Err, accidentally I found that Esc(!)-Enter the filename under the cursor
> to the cmdline in a FreeBSD console... The other keys do not work.

Oh, yes, that is because nobody has written the freebsd equivalents
for detecting if the control key is pressed.
=========END FORWARDED MESSAGE=========

The Enter key works in text mode sessions, so I think the problem has
something to do with FreeBSD's XFree86 port. As specific documentation
is not actually available, I am not able to resolve the problem myself (the
more annoying as, since old XT days, I got used to the NumPads cursor
keys _and_ the Enter key - instead of Return). Can anybody help me?
Torsten Kuehn