Date:      Mon, 18 Jul 2005 17:26:55 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Oliver Fromme <olli@lurza.secnetix.de>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: dangerous situation with shutdown process

Matthias Buelow <mkb@incubus.de> wrote:
 > Oliver Fromme <olli@lurza.secnetix.de> writes:
 > > buffers to disk.  While it is doing that, it displays the
 > > number of remaining buffers, with increasing time intervals
 > > between them.  If there are still buffers left after a
 > > certain number of intervals without change, the kernel
 > > gives up.
 >
 > Why is it doing this? Can't it just enumerate the buffers and write
 > them, one by one?

I don't think that the boot() function in kern_shutdown.c
can do that.  It has got nothing to do with the syncing
business itself.  It can only trigger the syncing (similar
to the sync(8) tool), which basically means performing a
vfs_sync with flag MNT_NOWAIT for every mounted filesystem.
Then it has to wait for the appropriate kernel process to
do its job.  See the source.

I don't think there's an easy way to change that.  If you
see such a way, I'd suggest you code it up and use send-pr.

Best regards
   Oliver

--
Oliver Fromme,  secnetix GmbH & Co KG, Marktplatz 29, 85567 Grafing

"Python tricks" is a tough one, cuz the language is so clean. E.g.,
C makes an art of confusing pointers with arrays and strings, which
leads to lotsa neat pointer tricks; APL mistakes everything for an
array, leading to neat one-liners; and Perl confuses everything
period, making each line a joyous adventure <wink>.
        -- Tim Peters