Date:      Tue, 02 May 2023 07:49:55 -0300
From:      Matheus <lojas@arroway.org>
To:        freebsd-arm@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Nanopi R5S support and build guide

On May 1, 2023 1:47:12 PM GMT-03:00, "S=C3=B8ren Schmidt" <soren=2Eschmidt=
@gmail=2Ecom> wrote:
>> On 30 Apr 2023, at 23=2E44, Matheus <lojas@arroway=2Eorg> wrote:
>>=20
>> Hi,
>>=20
>> I am trying to have FreeBSD 14 running on this SBC=2E I could not find
>any guides in how to build images for it=2E I found the
>people=2Efreebsd=2Eorg/~sos/ site that has some images, and one for it, b=
ut
>that seldom boots my board, and when it did, there was no console over
>serial or vga=2E
>>=20
>> If anyone can give any hints=2E Unfortunately my dev skills are not
>good=2E But I can test and help build once I figure out how :)
>
>Hi Matheus
>
>The image at
>
>https://people=2Efreebsd=2Eorg/~sos/ARM64/current-RK356X-images/nano5-sdc=
ard=2Eimg=2Egz

>for the Nanopi R5S does indeed boot with both HDMI output and serial
>console (1500000baud)=2E
>
>The boot loader (EDK2 in FDT mode) is very picky on SD card quality
>though from experience, I works for me with Sandisk Ultra / Extreme
>cards but not with Samsung and cheap noname SD cards YMMV=2E

Hi S=C3=B8ren,=20

I had really issues on sd carda=2E I got it to boot once, but I was printi=
ng characters on screen at one per second=2E So I rebooted and don't rememb=
er why rewrote the card=2E I can't boot anymore=2E Tried different cards, S=
anDisk ultra, no luck=2E=20

I can boot an 13=2E2 image from the guy at personalbsd though=2E But there=
 I have just one ethernet=2E=20
On 13=2E2 I cannot list the ethernets nics using pciconf -lv, including th=
e one that works=2E Is this expected?=20
I have little understanding of the arch, so my progress is much slow=2E=20
I got some dmesg from OpenBSD people where the nics show in ifconfig=2E Bu=
t I couldn't get mine to behave this way=2E I can install though, using USB=
 nic=2E=20
I will try to buy a new sd card from the good list you pointed=2E=20
Another thing, I got the feeling that when I dd'ed the image using the SD =
card slot on the notebook it worked and when was through usb adapter did no=
t=2E Does it make sense? Using Linux mint as host for this=2E=20
Thanks so much for the answer and help,=20

Matheus=20

>You can build a stock ARM64 generic kernel and most things will be
>usable, however as Ganbold wrote the DTS files is not in there yet (and
>not even in linux where our DTS files are fetched from)=2E
>However the EDK2 boot loader provided (and used in above image) on=20
>
>https://people=2Efreebsd=2Eorg/~sos/ARM64/EDK2-RK356X/NANOPI-R5S_EFI=2Eit=
b=EF=BF=BC=09
>NANOPI-R5S_EFI
>File =C2=B7 1,7 MB
>
>does hand over the =E2=80=9Cright=E2=80=9D DTB file if you want to experi=
ment=2E

>If you need the used DTS file and build guidance let me know in private
>mail=2E=2E=2E
>
>--
>S=C3=B8ren Schmidt
>sos@deepcore=2Edk / sos@freebsd=2Eorg