Date:      Sun, 30 Jan 2000 01:17:33 -0800 (PST)
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@hub.freebsd.org>
To:        Christopher Vance <vance@nu.org>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: distfile

On Fri, 28 Jan 2000, Christopher Vance wrote:

> Some ports have fairly large distfiles.  For some of these I am
> probably happy to wait for my subscription CD.  For others, I would
> like them sooner, but I'm concerned about the time to download.
>
> If I have an older distfile, is there any rsync magic I can do to
> reduce traffic?  If I've already got 80% of the distfile, it would
> sure be nice to fetch only the changed bits...

You must be referring to syncing the contents of the distfile, not the
distfile itself (since there is likely to be almost nothing in common
bytewise between compressed .tgz's of one version and another).

Aside from the amount of disk space required, I think this would create
more problems than it would solve - e.g. you can't verify the md5 checksum
of the archive because it won't re-pack the way it was originally packaged
by the vendor. I don't believe it would be widely-used, either.

Kris