Date:      Sun, 27 Feb 2000 16:05:07 -0500
From:      Mark Hendriks <markh@lon.imag.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        jadi@aol.com
Subject:   Re: Help: how to install FreeBSD! from impatient person.

It always amazes me that people manage to find the  instructions for
joining the mailing list, but they don't find the instructions for
installing the operating system.

Oh well, he we go again...

On Sun, 27 Feb 2000, JadiW@aol.com wrote:
> Hi, I have been tried to install the FreeBSD from CD-ROM with boot
> floppy disk for several days. I hope you can help me out as soon as
> possible because I am so eager to use UNIX.
>
> I want to have 2 Operating Systems, MS-DOS and UNIX, on my PC. So, Here
> is the steps I had tried:
> Assume : C is hard drive.
>                A is floppy drive.
>                D is CD-ROM drive with top level of a FreeBSD.

Before the installation begins, you will want to repartition your hard
drive.  FreeBSD doesn't use the MS-DOS file system, so you will need
separate partitions for MS-DOS & FreeBSD.

> 1) copy all important files from CD-ROM to C-drive.
>
>            C> MD C:\FREEBSD
>            C> XCOPY /S D:\FREEBSD\ BIN  C:\FREEBSD\BIN\
>            C> XCOPY /S D:\FREEBSD\MANPAGES  C:\FREEBSD\MANPAGES\

Don't bother.  The installation program will copy the files you need,
based on the choices you make during the installation process.

> 2) copy the boot.flp image onto A-drive.
>            A> d:\FREEBSD\tools\fdimage  FREEBSD\floppies\boot.fip  a:

I take it you also did the same with mfsroot.flp?  You need to make both
floppies in this manner.

> 3) scan and defragment the hard drive of my PC.
>
> 4) reboot succesfully.
>
> 5) didn't modify the kernel configuation.
>
> 6) set option.
>
> 7) novice installation.
>
> 8) Problem : I have the following error message and don't know how to fix it.
>
>         1. No root device found.
>            You must label a partition as / in the label editor
>         2. No swap devices found.
>             You must create at least one swap partition.
>         3. No /usr file system found.
>         4. No /var file system found.
>
>         Counldn't make file system properly, abort.

It's basically telling you that you do not have a FreeBSD file system on
your hard disk, which you do not, since your entire hard disk is currently
dedicated to MS-DOS.  As I said, you will need to repartition your hard
disk.

All of this (and other stuff you will need to know,) is explained on the
website.  From the home page, click on "Getting FreeBSD" and follow the
links that take you to the installation instructions.  There is some
reading to do, but if you do the reading, installing FreeBSD really is
quite easy.  If you don't do the reading, you'll be posting questions to
this list for a month before you figure it out.

Mark Hendriks
markh@lon.imag.net