Date:      Mon, 5 Feb 2001 14:08:15 -0800 (PST)
From:      Luigi Rizzo <rizzo@aciri.org>
To:        patrick@netzuno.com (Patrick Bihan-Faou)
Cc:        julian@elischer.org, rizzo@aciri.org, freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG, richw@webcom.com, julian@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: BRIDGE breaks ARP? (more info)

btw sorry but i keep getting this msg from elm when i
try to reply to you...

	[Charset iso-8859-15 unsupported, skipping...]

and it prevents me from including the original msg in the reply,
i need to do a cut&paste...

> Maybe I am misunderstanding things, but since the arp-request we recieve are
> for our IP address, do we need to forward them to the other segments ?

by the time the local stack processes the msg, bridging has already
passed the request around. You can always instruct the bridging
layer to do arp filtering but apart from code bloat and Layering
Violation (which some would consider a federal crime), in a sense
you would change the semantics -- requests are broadcast and as
such should go everywhere.

	cheers
	luigi