Date:      Sat, 13 Nov 1999 02:21:02 +0530 (IST)
From:      Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@physics.iisc.ernet.in>
To:        freebsd-doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Sorting order in mail list searches

I'm not sure which the right list is for this, but:

It seems that when you do a search on the mailing list archives,
specifying for instance "limit results to 25" and "sort by date",
it doesn't pick the most recent 25: it picks the best-scoring 25
and sorts those by date.

What it should ideally do is of course a matter of opinion but I
think this behaviour is a bit confusing. (I discovered it when
it appeared that geocrawler was giving more hits than this
engine.) I believe that the most natural thing -- what people
would take it to mean -- is that it should sort all matches
according to your criterion (score/date/etc) and then pick the
top 25 (or whatever). Alternatively, you could describe better
on the page what it actually does: it is possible that its
present way of working is more useful.

Rahul.