Date:      Tue, 10 Feb 2009 02:05:45 -0600 (CST)
From:      Lars Eighner <portsuser@larseighner.com>
To:        Dominic Fandrey <kamikaze@bsdforen.de>
Cc:        Tom Mende <tmende@optusnet.com.au>, freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: xorg hal dbus

On Tue, 10 Feb 2009, Dominic Fandrey wrote:

>>   1. Add Option "AllowEmptyInput" "off" to your ServerLayout section.
>>      This will cause X to use the configured kbd, mouse, and vmmouse
>>      sections from your xorg.conf
>>
>>   2. Don't use moused.  If you want it to work with addon usb mice
>>      set this in rc.conf:
>>
>>      moused_enable="NO"
>>      moused_nondefault_enable="NO"
>
> This is a) outdated and b) those are options. That means you do
> one of them, not both.
>
>>   I'm working on fixing hald or the mouse driver or both.
>> <snip>
>> After restoring my old xorg.conf and commenting out the RgbPath line, I
>> added "AllowEmptyInput" "off" to the xorg.conf server layout section and
>> disabled moused in rc.conf as per above.
>
> Don't disable moused.
>
>> Now on issuing startx I get a
>> message saying the "AllowEmptyInput" line can't be parsed. Where should
>> this line go?? From the context I assumed it should go into xorg.conf,
>> but if not, where??
>
> It goes into the xorg.conf. The question is just where did you put it?
> This is how it looks and works on my system:
>
> Section "ServerFlags"
> 	Option		"AllowEmptyInput"	"off"
> EndSection

Is "ServerFlags" different from "ServerLayout"?  I followed the instructions
in UPDATING which seemed to me to indicate the section was "ServerLayout"
--- after it became clear that the later UPDATING about it being fixed was
somewhat overly optimistic.  Someone suggested the mouse problem could be
fixed by deleting a file in hal, but did not specify which file.  Evidently
hal not only kills the mouse, but kills using the numeric key pad for a
mouse (or perhaps kills most of the keyboard --- enough of the keyboard was
left that I could switch to a text-mode virtual terminal and kill xorg.

--
Lars Eighner
http://www.larseighner.com/index.html