Date:      Tue, 29 Jul 2014 12:09:40 -0400
From:      "David DeSimone" <ddesimone@verio.net>
To:        "Karl Pielorz" <kpielorz_lst@tdx.co.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-net@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   RE: FreeBSD 10.0-R connected to Cisco switch (in 'trunk' mode with native VLAN) - doesn't work?

We use exactly the sort of configuration you showed, and it works =
perfectly with our FreeBSD systems.

It is possible you are running afoul of spanning-tree behavior on the =
port.  Access ports are treated as "edge" ports and can activate right =
away, while trunk ports must go through the full listen/learn/forward =
cycle before they will start forwarding traffic, making the port appear =
dead during its first 30-40 seconds.

Consider adding to the 3750 configuration:

    interface GigabitEthernet_/0/__
      spanning-tree portfast trunk

The switch will give you a big warning about why this is a terrible =
idea, but it is in fact a very good idea, since your server (hopefully) =
isn't doing any bridging of traffic.

If you do have any bridging code enabled, however, then this is actually =
a terrible suggestion.  :)