Date:      Sat, 30 Mar 2002 16:11:43 +0100
From:      Ernst de Haan <znerd@FreeBSD.org>
To:        java@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Building libraries from source

Hi all,

Now that we have a bsd.java.mk, we should first get the current ports to use
USE_JAVA. Then at the same time we can define the destination directories for
the shared libraries (JARs), for the JavaDoc files, etc.

What is also one of my goals is building all Java ports from source.
Currently ports like www/jakarta-tomcat download pre-built JARs. IMHO it
would be an improvement if all dependency libraries for this JAR would be
downloaded and installed separately, so everything can be installed from
source.

An extra advantage is, that you can then upgrade a library like xerces and
have all libraries that use xerces use the upgraded version of xerces. I know
that this may be a disadvantage in some cases too :)

Any thoughts on the subject ?

Ernst