Date:      Tue, 8 Dec 1998 16:55:44 -0500
From:      kwc@world.std.com (Kenneth W Cochran)
To:        freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   MultiOS, multi-disk booting

Hello...

I could use some advice as to a strategy for setting up my Drives.
I can ask someplace besides -scsi if that's more appropriate.
(-questions seems a bit noisy...  :)

Current disk config:

HBA is DPT.

1gb hdd, HP 5400rpm C-3323:
	1.  DOS ('95/'98?) FAT 127mb (starting cylinder 2)
	2.  Extended, more FAT drives/filesystems
	3.  512mb, empty, to become non-system filesystem(s) for fbsd
		ie, a "data" drive

2gb hdd, Seagate 7200rpm Barracuda ("system" drive):
	1:  FreeBSD 2.2.7, 1gb  (/, swap, /var, /usr, /home)
	2:  Linux?, 1gb (similar fs layout; dunno, maybe -current? :-)

Goals (if possible... :-)

Either drive bootable, even if I disconnect one (or one malfunctions).

Keep a default OS "active" in the partition table, ie. not
updating the "active flag" when booting.  I did this with
Interactive Unix; it was marked active & booting DOS was a menu
selection.  I could "turn Unix off" by changing the active flag
with fdisk.  I can do all this with LILO, too, by installing
LILO in Linux's root partition.

I can make LILO boot FreeBSD or Linux as I wish here, but it
does require more typing; it would be nice if I could choose
with a function key, for example.

I'd rather not have a bootmanager in the masterboot if I don't
really have to...

Question:  (Likely my *real* question... :-)

Can my DOS/FAT/Win95 partition be booted from a different drive
(ie. LILO, BootEasy, etc.), for example, with my DOS/FAT drive
not "primary?"

Doc & FAQ pointers are welcome; I've already read a bunch of
them (probably not the "right" one just yet :-).

Many thanks,

-kc