Date:      Wed, 13 Nov 2002 15:58:05 -0600
From:      GB Clark <gclarkii@vsservices.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, aaron.siegel@attbi.com
Subject:   Re: X Remotely on a Win2k Box

On Tue, 12 Nov 2002 22:00:02 -0700
Aaron J Siegel <aaron.siegel@attbi.com> wrote:

> Hello
> I do not believe you can run kde remotely, you can run kde applications,
> from the ssh shell
> $ xhost (remote system) (this is not secure xauth is more secure)
> $ kmail -display system:0&
> will display kmail on your system.
>
> If you want the entire kde environment you will want to use VNC this is
> available in the port collection (net/vnc) and at the following link for the
> windows client.
>
> http://www.uk.research.att.com/vnc/

If KDE can not be used on a remote X server, then it's broken.  It looks like
all he wants is to use the 2k box as a X terminal.  X was designed to do this.

VNC is NOT the way to go with this, unless your on a highspeed LAN, it is glacial.

> On Tuesday 12 November 2002 17:52, Brian McCann wrote:
> > Hi all...I tried searching through the archives to find some
> > help...but there was WAY to much returned.  So...here's my question.  I
> > need to be able to open an X session (complete with KDE and all) from a
> > Win2k Box.  I've got Xmanager for Win2k, and I can connect and get an
> > xterm session via ssh, but when I type startx, it starts up X on the
> > console.  I would have thought it would have grabbed the name/number of
> > the display I was currently logged into to send the output to.  Anyone
> > know how I can do this, or a good site with a how-to?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > --Brian

Have you setup XDM on the master server?  How about letting the master server know that the
2k box is allowed to connect to XDM?

Try looking on google for setting up an X terminal (which is all your trying to do here).

GB

--
GB Clark II             | Roaming FreeBSD Admin
gclarkii@VSServices.COM | General Geek