Date:      Fri, 25 Sep 1998 02:32:36 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Donn Miller <dmm125@bellatlantic.net>
To:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG, hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: reading Sun-formatted diskettes

On Thu, 24 Sep 1998, Mike Smith wrote:

> > The tech-support guy at Sun Microsystems said that maybe my CDROM wasn't
> > 100% ATAPI/IDE compliant.  Now I'm wondering why Solaris is so picky that
> > it has to have a CDROM that is 100% IDE compliant, even though
> > FreeBSD/Linux/Win98 can use the CDROM perfectly well.  It's a BTC 24X max
> > CDROM.
>
> It's a convenient excuse for not fixing their driver.

I figured as much... here I am thinking my hardware is inadaquate.  That
guy was trying to tell me to replace my CDROM drive.  I just told him it
works fine on FreeBSD and Linux... He said he was suspicious of that
"$19.95 special" I was using for a CDROM drive.  ( I don't know how much
it cost really, but I know Soren used the same brand to test his CDRW
driver so I figured it couldn't be that bad).

I thought OH, a drive doesn't work with Sun software so that automatically
makes it a cheap piece of crap.  Sounds like their cdrom drivers need
fixing.

Thanks

Donn