Date:      Sun, 18 Jul 1999 00:44:23 +0100
From:      Karl Pielorz <kpielorz@tdx.co.uk>
To:        Vincent Poy <vince@venus.GAIANET.NET>
Cc:        sthaug@nethelp.no, tim@storm.digital-rain.com, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: poor ethernet performance?

Vincent Poy wrote:

>         Testing after the dust has settled and while it is in use is
> different since conditions do change.  The testers only tests for
> continuity, not the impedance or any other electrical properties of the
> cable.

The decent testers (such as a professional cable installing friend of mine
uses) do a full range of tests, at both 10Mbs and 100Mbs speed, including
cross talk, attenuation + a host of other things. The customers gets a
certificate _per_ connection, listing all the details... The decent testers
use proper TDR techniques to do a full range of testing, more than just "The
wires conduct, and their in the right order at both ends" :-)

> > Fastest I've seen on my setup (doing anything useful) is around 9Mb/sec going
> > from my WinNT box (with Intel Pro 100B) to my FreeBSD -current box (also with
> > Pro 100B).
>
>         Hmmm, how large of a file do you have to transfer to see the max
> speed?

Typically around 2Gb's... I do a lot of DVR work, so I always have large files
kicking around :-)

>         What about from FreeBSD to FreeBSD? =)

Don't have two boxes to test from... I've toyed with replacing my current NT
install with FreeBSD, I guess I just love Delphi too much :-) [hence need
Win32 :)] + The company database runs only under Win32 so far...

This is getting off-topic for -hackers - if you want to chat we should either
move it somewhere more appropriate - or personal replies only :-)

-Kp