Date:      Mon, 8 Sep 2014 20:20:56 -0700
From:      Navdeep Parhar <np@FreeBSD.org>
To:        =?iso-8859-1?Q?Jean-S=E9bastien_P=E9dron?= <dumbbell@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        Konstantin Belousov <kostikbel@gmail.com>, freebsd-arch@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Linux kernel API wrapper: using OFED's one in other drivers

On Mon, Sep 08, 2014 at 04:25:40PM +0200, Jean-Sébastien Pédron wrote:
> On 08.09.2014 12:39, Konstantin Belousov wrote:
> > My main objections to use OFED wrappers for drm2 are:
> >
> > 1. It tightly binds different drivers with non-coordinating maintainers
> >    to the version of the Linux KPI.  The Linux drivers interface is not
> >    known for its stability, and constant drift there in both formal
> >    spelling of interfaces and in semantic requires to have all drivers
> >    using the wrapper to be at the same upstream version.
> >
> >    This objection is not specific to drm code, but so far we only speek
> >    about infiniband and drm.
>
> A small note before going on: cxgb(4) and cxgbe(4) use OFED's wrapper too.

Not so.  You were correct in your original email where you said the
wrappers are used within sys/dev/cxgb and sys/dev/cxgbe.  There is a
subtle difference.

cxgbe(4) is the if_cxgbe module.  It is a native FreeBSD driver and
there is no possibility that it will ever use anything from any Linux
shim layer that may be available on FreeBSD.

iw_cxgbe, that lives within sys/dev/cxgbe too, is an iWARP driver that
relies on OFED and is forced to use the Linux shims because the FreeBSD
OFED port works that way (include any ofed header and it pulls in a lot
of Linux shim headers).  A native FreeBSD OFED would have been much
nicer imho but that's water under the bridge.

Regards,
Navdeep