Date:      Thu, 25 Feb 1999 09:46:19 +0100 (CET)
From:      Konrad Heuer <kheuer@gwdu60.gwdg.de>
To:        Jonathan Chen <jonc@pinnacle.co.nz>
Cc:        Langa Kentane <LKentane@mweb.com>, "'freebsd-questions@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: csh or bash (newbie)

On Thu, 25 Feb 1999, Jonathan Chen wrote:

> On Wed, 24 Feb 1999, Langa Kentane wrote:
>=20
> > The other day I asked for help on how to change the default shell for r=
oot.
> > Some told me that it was not a very good idea to change root's shell.=
=20
> >=20
> > Can someone explain to me why?
>=20
> Can't think of a reason why.
>=20
> Some may say that when you go into single user mode, having the
> non-default root shell will cause a problem; but FreeBSD will prompt
> you for which shell to use when you go to single-user mode (in
> which case I'd go with the default /bin/sh).

I like use tcsh as my default shell (for root, too), but one has to be
aware of two problems that might occur especially in single user mode:

1) bash, ksh, tcsh, zsh etc. are installed in /usr/local/bin and are
usually not available immediately in single user mode when only the root
file system is mounted read-only.=20

2) It doesn't help to copy those shells to /bin since they're dynamically
linked and thus need the shared libraries in /usr/lib which may not be
loadable when booting into single-user mode.=20

Regards

//
// Konrad Heuer                                  ____            ___  _____=
__=20
// Gesellschaft f=FCr wissenschaftliche           / __/______ ___ / _ )/ __=
/ _ \
//    Datenverarbeitung mbH G=D6ttingen          / _// __/ -_) -_) _  |\ \/=
 // /
// Am Fa=DFberg, D-37077 G=D6ttingen              /_/ /_/  \__/\__/____/___=
/____/=20
// Deutschland (Germany)                      ----- The Power to Serve ----=