Date:      Fri, 04 Aug 1995 07:33:31 -0700
From:      Paul Traina <pst@shockwave.com>
To:        William McVey - wam <wamcvey@fedex.com>
Cc:        security@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: FTP data port restrictions

  From: William McVey - wam <wamcvey@fedex.com>
  Paul Traina wrote:
  >The basic idea here is that we leave 40000-44999 open, since no known
  >sane services reside there (yeah, sure...) at the firewalls,  and can
  >therefore button down everything else.

  It's important for people to realize that allowing arbitrary
  connections into your inside network even if they are destined for
  these ranges is still not a safe thing to do.  The problem is that
  although no *sane* services are running in this block of ports, we
  still have the problem of RPC dynamic port allocation, so for as
  far as we know nfsd or mountd could be running in this range.

We can only go so far as to fix our own software.

Services that don't -specificly- bind themselves to a port (i.e.
anyone who calls bind with a 0 port, get assigned a range from
1024 to 5000),  which is why you will never see floating RPC daemons
in ports greater than 5000.

Other RPC daemons, such as NFS, which do lock themselves down to a
particular port can fall outside that range,  but if they're locked
down, you can block them.

  The feature of resticting port ranges may still be usefull for proxy
  services (since you know you aren't running any rpc services on
  your proxy host), but if a site's security depends on a screening
  router, I'd hate for people to get the idea that these ports are
  deemed "safe".

I agree, and the documentation will say something to that effect, but
given the unfortunate situation we currently have, where bloody daemons
and user stuff share the same range of ports,  we're seriously SOL.

If we had it to do over again, we should have reserved the bottom 8k for
privileged daemons, then next 8k for unprivileged services, then next 16k
for floating services, and the top 32k for client sourced ports.

Oh well..