Date:      Mon, 28 Feb 2005 11:51:02 -0800
From:      "David O'Brien" <obrien@freebsd.org>
To:        David Gilbert <dgilbert@dclg.ca>
Cc:        freebsd-amd64@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ia32 ports...

On Mon, Feb 28, 2005 at 11:17:21AM -0500, David Gilbert wrote:
> Having wrestled with a few ports (including java) on amd64, what I
> don't understand is why we don't have the capability to compile ia32
> versions of ports that won't compile in amd64 mode...

We don't yet support building any 32-bit apps on a 64-bit system.  I have
some changes to GCC I need to finish.  We also need to start installing
the 32-bit headers and .a's.  And this is just for the base system.

If you want to build a 32-bit package under a 64-bit OS, you also need to
have two copies of gtk, gettext, libiconv, etc... installed.  It turns
into a mess.

--
-- David  (obrien@FreeBSD.org)