Date:      Wed, 2 Feb 2000 13:54:22 -0500 (EST)
From:      Michael Bacarella <mbac@nyct.net>
To:        Geoff Buckingham <geoffb@chuggalug.clues.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Re/Fwd: freebsd specific search

> It's release structure means FreeBSD is a complete operating system (as
> opposed to a kernel and one of several distributions) and machines are
> maintainable and upgradable in production over long periods of time via
> the STABLE branch.

I can agree with you here, as our organization has benefitted from said
features.  Although we aren't having the most pleasant time going from
2.2.8-STABLE to a 3.3.4-STABLE ever since the elfining. But that's
probably our own fault for letting some of them get so out of date. :)

> The FreeBSD kernel internals seem to have consistantly scaled further than the
> Linux kernel over the last few years (though linux has improved lots recently).
> This isn't a problem in most production enviroments however in marginal
> configurations it can be nasty. I had a very bad day six months ago attemting
> to patch a linux kernel to have >2048 file descriptors.

Useless Anecdote Warning:

For some particular reason (I'll spare the details of what lead up to
this) I ping -f'd a FreeBSD box from a Linux box. The FreeBSD box held up
very well. Despite this, my coworker (who owns said box) put icmp limits
in place to further lessen the load.

This attack was barely noticable on a neighboring Linux machine. (In fact,
I was so annoyed that it had such a meager effect that I went to several
other machines and had them all join in on the ping -f'ing fun). I
experimented with variable packet sizes but I never did quite get to
lock down the Linux machine as badly as I could the FreeBSD.

Maybe I was just equating dropped packets with increased cpu availability
as a plus, whereas FreeBSD put more effort into replying to all of the
requests. Anyway, coworker also modified his system to dedicate more
memory to the mbuf pool as well as some other tweaks which may or may not
have done anything.

Frustrated with my inability to saturate his FreeBSD box, I switched my
attack to UDP. It was a basic UDP packet flood which, evidently,
should've justed pushed as many packets onto the wire as the physical
medium would allow. My machine is a P166 whereas his is a dual PPro200.

The packet flood rendered the machine useless as far as networks go within
10 seconds. He tried it (out of annoyance) on a Linux machine which barely
showed signs of struggle. Then, out of curiousity he turned it towards his
Indy running Irix (don't remember the version). The machine fell right off
the network in less than 3 seconds.  Not only that, but when the flood
stopped, the machine still wouldn't come back.  One week later, the
machine is still dead, despite reboots. Hardware damage? Neat!

We are both using fairly recent versions of our respective systems, but I
don't claim that either of us configured them optimally. Ho hum.

If you can find a moral to this story, let me know. :)

-MB