Date:      Tue, 19 Jan 2010 09:45:58 -0500
From:      jhell <jhell@DataIX.net>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Setting "zfs_arc_max" value in FreeBSD 8.

On 1/19/2010 5:16 AM, Sherin George wrote:
> Thanks Ivan :)
>
> I found It. add following in /boot/loader.conf
>
> ===================
> vfs.zfs.arc_max="10244M"
> ===================
>
> --
> Best Regards,
> Sherin
>
> On Tue, Jan 19, 2010 at 3:15 PM, Ivan Voras <ivoras@freebsd.org> wrote:
>
>> On 01/19/10 10:19, Sherin George wrote:
>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I am trying to tune ZFS file system by setting "zfs_arc_max" value in
>>> FreeBSD 8.
>>>
>>> In solaris, it is achieved like this
>>>
>>> =================================================
>>> For example, if an application needs 5 GBytes of memory on a system with
>>> 36-GBytes of memory, you could set the arc maximum to 30 GBytes,
>>> (0x780000000 or 32212254720 bytes). Set the zfs:zfs_arc_max parameter in
>>> the
>>> /etc/system file:
>>>
>>> set zfs:zfs_arc_max = 0x780000000
>>>
>>> or
>>>
>>> set zfs:zfs_arc_max = 32212254720
>>> =================================================
>>>
>>> But, I couldn't find /etc/system file in FreeBSD.
>>>
>>> Could some one please guide me to correctly configure "zfs_arc_max" in
>>> FreeBSD 8.
>>>

>> You should probably start here:
>>
>> http://wiki.freebsd.org/ZFSTuningGuide
>>
>> and more generally, here:
>>
>> http://wiki.freebsd.org/ZFS

I just thought I would give a shout at this for stable/7 as of last
week. I am not sure if this is just me but I had tried to adjust
zfs_arc_max and found out that it was unadjusted to my value after the
system came back up.

Anyone know if it is adjustable on a system with 1024MB of ram ? Is this
just being auto calculated by some other value ?

--

 jhell