Date:      Wed, 27 Jan 1999 23:57:04 -0800
From:      charon@freethought.org
To:        Evren Yurtesen <yurtesen@turkey.ispro.net.tr>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: XFree86 and packages

At 02:01 AM 1/28/99 +0200, Evren Yurtesen wrote:
>I guess you may use;
>
>     -f      Force installation to proceed even if prerequisite packages are
>             not installed or the requirements script fails.  Although
pkg_add
>             will still try to find and auto-install missing prerequisite
>             packages, a failure to find one will not be fatal.
>
>I think that you will still be able to use packages without any problem
>even though you see some error messages.
>

>On Wed, 27 Jan 1999 charon@freethought.org wrote:
>
>> The packages I'm trying to install require XFree86, but don't recognize
>> that I have it on my system because I didn't install it via port (I
>> downloaded it from www.XFree86.org and followed their directions).  What do
>> I need to do to make window managers, etc. recognize that I have X
installed?

When I force a pkg_add, I get a message that dependency registration is
incomplete.  Does this cause a problem?  The fact that XFree86 _isn't_ a
package makes me wonder why the system is looking for it to be registered
in /var/db/pkg in the first place.  I can't install XFree via port because
my laptop (the FreeBSD machine) isn't networked... any suggestions?

-charon