Date:      Sat, 20 Jul 1996 10:21:24 -0700
From:      jon@vcnet.com (Jon Rust)
To:        freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 2940 and large drives

>> Ignored the message this time about bad geometry (after doing a low level
>> format on the drives). The install completes okay. Upon reboot I get a
>> message about "there is a drive larger than 1 gig with a 64 head/ 32 sector
>> partitioning which is not compatable with the 255 head/ 63 sector
>> translation setting on this card. Data could be corrupted. Hit any key to
>> .....".
>
>FreeBSD won't corrupt any data in this case, but might have problems
>to boot at all.  Your system booted, so this was not a problem.
>
>> After hitting any key, the system comes up okay, but this obviously
>> is bad, as evidenced by my daily crashes where the computer reboots itself!
>
>Yeah, and herein lies the problem.  You forgot to tell us how it
>crashes and what exactly happens.  How should we know _why_ your
>machine crashed if your only sentence about it is ``daily crashes
>where the computer reboots itself''?

Well since it crashed in the middle of the night, AND rebooted itself with
NO syslog entries, how am I supposed to tell? I came in in the morning, and
the machines sitting on the BIOS screen (you know, where it checks the
memory, tells you what kind of IDE drive you got, and the scsi card
announces its presence) complaining about head/sector translations waiting
for me to hit any key. The information above is all I had.

Since turning off the "enable DOS partitions > 1g" option in the card, all
is well... or at least it hasn't crashed in about 24 hours. A new record!

Thanks to those who helped... though no one's suggested a straightforward
way to partition up new drives. Linux has cfdisk, but I guess I'm not in
Kansas anymore, Toto.

jon

Jon Rust                                <http://www.vcnet.com/>;
VCNet                                   For info, call us or email to
805.383.3500                            info@vcnet.com
 PGP Fingerprint =  58 55 6C 46 4C 2B 7E 65  BB 35 AB 02 E1 27 73 7B
"African swallows maybe, but not a European swallow. That's my point."