Date:      Tue, 29 Dec 1998 13:26:07 +0900
From:      Kenjiro Cho <kjc@csl.sony.co.jp>
To:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        atm@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ATM in FreeBSD, status requested!

Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@FreeBSD.ORG> said:
>> I am seriously considering retiring the Chuck Cranors ATM stuff leaving
>> HARP in the tree to handle it all.  Only casualty I know of would be
>> support for Adaptec cards.

>> Comments ?

It would be nice if all the different functions can be supported by a
single set of ATM tools.  But I don't think it's going to happen since
ATM can be used in too many different ways (e.g., Classical IP, leased
lines, MPLS).

If we have to choose one, it will be HARP but we do not need to.
It seems that the two drivers have different segments of the ATM
users.  Network research people tend to choose Cranor's driver to play
with since it's simpler and they don't need Classical IP or SVCs.
So, I personally want to keep Cranor's driver as long as there are
interests.

On the other hand, I think "netnatm" directory could be removed.
It's a quick hack, it's kind of messy to have both "netnatm" and
"netatm" directories under "sys", and I don't know many people using
it.

At least, the following items are supported in Cranor's driver but
missing in HARP:
 - Adaptec card support
	although Adaptec has dropped ATM NICs from their product line,
	Adaptec cards perform much better than ENI cards.
 - BPF support
 - shaper support
	crucial to a wide area ATM services
	quite convenient as a variable rate link for testing
 - multicast support
	if the interface is configured as a point-to-point interface
 - IPv6 support
	we all know it's comming

And, at least, the following groups, each has a considerable amount of
users, are using Cranor's driver:
 - ALTQ
 - KAME/INRIA IPv6
 - CAIRN