Date:      Tue, 27 Apr 1999 10:54:35 -0500 (EST)
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@rush.net>
To:        Dan Langille <junkmale@xtra.co.nz>
Cc:        Nicole Harrington <nicole@nmhtech.com>, advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Security

On Tue, 27 Apr 1999, Dan Langille wrote:

> On 26 Apr 99, at 23:25, Nicole Harrington wrote:
>

> >  There is a cool mailing list called the Sans Security Mailing that is
> >  kindof
> > like a condensed bugtrack and cert mailing. I rather liked one entry it
> > contained in it's listing of security bugs for all OS's.
> >
> >                         ---------------
> > FreeBSD:
> > No FreeBSD security reports have been released since 11/04/1998.
> >                         ---------------
> >
> > Not many os's could claim that.
>
> Grin.  Pretty good.
>
> But it brought to mind something about a CEO comparing Mac and Windows.
> He claimed that Mac must have lots of bugs in it because bug fixes were
> issued "all the time" but Windows must have no bugs because they hardly
> ever issue any bug fixes.

Yes but there's a difference, I'm unaware of any major FreeBSD security
hole since the /proc hole about 2 years ago that wasn't the fault of
a "contributed" program.

If you want to see feature improvements and bugfixes look at
cvs-all@freebsd.org.

*BSD has a decade and a half of work put into it so far, what other OS
can really say that?

-Alfred