Date:      Sat, 26 Jan 2008 19:20:02 GMT
From:      Ben Kelly <bkelly@vadev.org>
To:        freebsd-usb@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: usb/95173: [umass] [patch] cannot mount external usb harddisk VIA Technologies Inc. USB 2.0 IDE Bridge

The following reply was made to PR usb/95173; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Ben Kelly <bkelly@vadev.org>
To: bug-followup@FreeBSD.org, diazepam@gmx.net
Date: Sat, 26 Jan 2008 14:14:16 -0500

 For the PR I thought I would also just throw in another thought I
 had.  It occurred to me that since umass devices are usually designed
 for a "can be pulled at any time" environment, it seems likely that
 most of them disable write caching anyways.

 With that in mind, would it make more sense to disable the SYNC
 command by default and add a quirk for those devices where its known
 to be functioning and useful?

 This might increase the default compatibility of the FreeBSD USB stack
 with devices in the future.  I count around 34 entries in scsi_da.c
 for umass devices simply to add the NO_SYNC quirk.

 Just a thought.  If people are interested I can develop a patch for
 this.