Date:      Thu, 17 Dec 1998 06:57:41 -0500 (EST)
From:      Steve Hovey <shovey@buffnet.net>
To:        George Wenzel <gee2@realtime.net>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Usenet performance issues (was Re: RAID solutions?)

On Thu, 17 Dec 1998, George Wenzel wrote:

> Matthew Patton wrote:
> >
> > for a news spool you want SPEED, SPEED, and SPEED!! You do *NOT* want RAID5
> > (it's damn slow on writes) and most definately NOT in software. Get a slew
> > of disks and use raid 10 (stripe + mirror) for utmost speed. Given modern
> > disks, 4 on a channel will tend to saturate the bus. Theoretical
> > performance numbers will not be reached due to firmware bugs in drives
> > (common) or inefficient drivers.
> >
> For a fraction of the cost of yahu (yet another hardware upgrade)
> we purchased better software.  The result?  I'm using Dnews, a
> commercial software package costing less than $500... and my

We had to do this too.. for reference, on 1 machine here, a pentium 133,
regular adaptec 2940s, with INN a 'full' weeks postings could be held for
almost a week over 4, 4gig drives.  When I put dnews in, no other
enhancements or changes, I overflowed the drives twice a day.. so I had to
purchase 8's to replace the 4's, and could still only retain 2 days tops,
setting dnews to clean out groups no one ever went into.  With INN, each
update slowed stuff down, my backlogs were horrendous, and INN started
using MMAP no matter how you set compilation options, and with 128MB of
ram, that machine would hit the MMAP problems with INN of corrupted active
file numbers.  Also dnews can be set to not slow down readers while
running its expire process.  My users were doing back flips of joy!  And
that freaked me out cause they usually only bother to through rocks!