Date:      Wed, 18 Apr 2001 17:59:11 -0500
From:      Andrew Hesford <ajh3@chmod.ath.cx>
To:        Pablo Quintana <quintana@netsys.hn>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: A dot in the username

On Wed, Apr 18, 2001 at 04:41:46PM -0500, Pablo Quintana wrote:

>    How can I have my FreeBSD 4.2 to let me use dots in the username as
>    pablo.quintana@netsys.hn?
>    Thanks.
>
>    Pablo Quintana
>    Gerente de Servicios Dedicados
>    The NetSys Company
>    San Pedro Sula, Honduras, C. A.
>    Tel.  : +504 566-1055
>    Fax   : +504 566-3183
>    Mobile: +504 991-1847
>    e-mail: quintana@netsys.hn

You want the actual username like that, or just the email address? I've
never seen a username with a dot in it, although I don't see anything
wrong with having it. Actually, out of curiosity, I just created a user
with a dot in his name: ajh.3. Everything worked just fine. I don't know
if adduser (or useradd; whatever it is) supports that, but then again,
adduser puts strange limitations on the uid and gid fields. Using vipw
had everything working just fine.

If you just want to have the email address, you fool around with
/etc/aliases or whatever your alias file is. You'll have to read up the
docs for your mailserver on this one, things are different between
different servers. For sendmail or postfix, you'd add a line like this:

	pablo.quintana: <local username or alternate email address>

and rehash the database. This is where you need to check the docs. With
postfix, I know it's "postalias"; sendmail is different. Some mail
servers, for instance exim, don't even need a hashed database--they just
parse /etc/aliases directly.

Aliasing works like a dream, I've got a "chmod" alias for myself, and an
alias for my brother which sends mail to another server.

--
Andrew Hesford
ajh3@chmod.ath.cx